ISTA certification allows program participants to use the « Transit tested » certification mark. This mark proves to carriers and customers your certified package meets one of the ISTA standards. To be allowed to use the ISTA certification mark shippers must:
- Get their package tested by an ISTA accredited lab, such as Micom, to one of the ISTA test procedure
- The product manufacturer must become an ISTA member for a minimal fee
- Once a member, there is no additional per package fee for an ISTA certification.
- The test lab must complete a test report form and submit it to ISTA
- ISTA reviews the test report and then confirms ISTA certification
The benefits of the ISTA certification mark are as follows:
- Obtain a package that will adequately its content against distribution hazards
- Reduce the need for live shipments to validate a packaging concept
- Facilitate your claims settlement with carriers
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Lower freight insurance rates
Micom can provide you with the testing necessary to obtain the ISTA mark for the following standards:
ISTA 1A – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less ISTA 1B – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs ISTA 1C – Extended Testing for Individual Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less ISTA 1D – Extended Testing for Individual Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs ISTA 1E – Unitized Loads ISTA 1G – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less (Random Vibration) ISTA 1H – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs (Random Vibration) ISTA 2A – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less ISTA 2B – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs ISTA 2C – Furniture Packages ISTA 3A – Packaged Products for Parcel Delivery System Shipment weighing 150 lbs or less ISTA 3B – Packaged Products for Less Than Truckload (LTL) Shipment ISTA 3E – Unitized Load of Same Product ISTA 3F – Packaged Products for Distribution Center to Retail Outlet Shipment, 100 lb or Less ISTA 3H – Products or Packaged Products in Mechanically Handled Bulk Transport Containers ISTA 3K – Fast Moving Consumer Goods in the European Retail Supply Chain ISTA 4AB – Packaged Products for Shipment in Known Distribution Channels ISTA 6FEDEX-A – FedEx Procedure – Packaged Products Weighing up to 150 lbs ISTA 6FEDEX-B – FedEx Procedure – Packaged Products Weighing more than 150 lbs ISTA 6-SAMSCLUB – Packaged Products FOR Sam’s Club Distribution System Shipment ISTA 6-Amazon.com – Packaged Products for Amazon.com Distribution System Shipment
Other links of interest:
The following links could also be of interest to you: Package testing.