ASTM D695 is a standard test method used to measure the compressive mechanical properties of rigid plastics. Micom offers ASTM D695 test as part of its polymer testing services.
This test help you measure and understand the following properties:
- Modulus of elasticity
- Yield stress
- Deformation beyond yield point
- Compressive strength
ASTM D695 use and factors to be considered
The following factors should be considered while testing to ASTM D695:
- Specimen preparation
- Specimen conditioning
- Specimen dimensions
- Specimen Rate of loading
- Whether the material is anisotropic or not (in which case both orientations may need to be tested)
When testing to ASTM D695, sample preparation is of paramount importance. Sample preparation can vary greatly from material to material. For example, softer materials such as rubbers might have to be die cut. However, stronger fiber reinforced composite materials will need to be machined.
Typical Experimental parameters
The following are typical experimental parameters to consider with the compressive properties of rigid plastics test:
- Number of Test Specimens: Five unless the material is anisotropic
- Speed of testing: from 1,3 to 3 mm/min
- Conditioning and testing Temperature: 23 +/– 2 oC
- Conditioning and testing relative humidity: 50 +/– 5%
Related test methods
If you have any questions about ASTM D695 test or other plastics and polymer tests, we invite you to contact our material testing lab. It will be our pleasure to talk to you about material testing and review your custom testing requirements.
We also invite you to download our brochure to learn more about our Paint, Coating and Polymer testing services.