Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics and Composites
ASTM D695 is a standard test method used to measure the compressive mechanical properties of rigid plastics. It’s often used with the tensile test standard ASTM D638. Together, ASTM D695 and ASTM D638 are used to evaluate the mechanical properties of polymers. Micom offers ASTM D695 test as part of its polymer testing and material testing services.
These tests help measure and understand the following properties:
- Modulus of elasticity: How much the material can be stretched.
- Yield stress (tensile strength)
- Deformation beyond the yield point
- Compressive strength
ASTM D695 use and factors to be considered
The following factors should be considered while testing to ASTM D695:
- Specimen preparation
- Specimen conditioning
- Specimen dimensions
- Specimen Rate of loading
- Whether the material is anisotropic or not (in which case both orientations may need to be tested)
Is ASTM D695 the right test standard for you?
The following are typical experimental parameters to consider with the compressive properties of the rigid plastics test:
- Number of Test Specimens: Five unless the material is anisotropic
- Speed of testing: from 1,3 to 3 mm/min
- Conditioning and testing Temperature: 23 +/– 2 oC
- Conditioning and testing relative humidity: 50 +/– 5%
When testing for ASTM D695, sample preparation is of paramount importance. Sample preparation can vary greatly from material to material. For example, softer materials such as rubbers might have to be die-cut. However, stronger fiber-reinforced composite materials will need to be machined.
Related test methods
If you have any questions about ASTM D695 or other plastics and polymer tests, we invite you to contact our material testing lab. It will be our pleasure to talk to you about material testing and review your custom testing requirements.
Paint, Coating, and Polymer testing services
We also invite you to download our brochure to learn more about our Paint, Coating, and Polymer testing services.