ASTM testing services, including the ASTM B117 test, are available at Micom Laboratories. ASTM Standards (American Society for Testing and Materials) cover a wide range of test methods, practices and material specifications. Many of these test methods are product specific or test specific. We offer numerous ASTM testing services.
Some material testing services are more general in nature and are often called upon by test methods or standards other than ASTM. For example, ASTM G155 is a practice for Xenon Arc accelerated exposure. You can test a product based on that practice, but you are missing specific test parameters such as irradiance, test duration and pass/fail criteria (e.g. color change, gloss, haze, etc.). This affects the lab’s ability to know exactly what needs to be done.
These missing parameters will be found either in purchasing specifications, technical specifications or other standards calling upon one or more practices and test methods, such as ASTM G154 for accelerated weathering, that are used to carry out the material testing. Once the testing is complete, compliance can be established based on the product-specific standards/documents.
For example, let’s assume that you need to do a UV testing evaluation to validate a new coating you want to use on an outdoor terminal box.
A proper way to specify your testing using ASTM test methods might be:
- Test samples as per ASTM G155, Cycle 1 (there are many cycles that will give you different test results)
- 2,000 hours exposure
- Before and after exposure, measure the coating’s gloss at 60o, as per ASTM D523.
- Gloss difference shall not be more than 10 units
Whether you want to validate your products using ASTM tests or any other standard/specification, working your way through standards can be a tedious process. Our experts will be happy to assist you in preparing a test plan that works for you and gives you real answers.
ASTM Testing Procedures by Product and Test Category
Below is a list of ASTM testing procedures by product and test category offered at Micom Laboratories
Coating and Surface Testing
- UV Testing – ASTM G155, ASTM G154, ASTM D7869
- Environmental Testing (climatic chamber testing)
- Taber Abrasion – ASTM D4060
- Pull-off strength of coatings ASTM D4541
- Gloss – ASTM D523
- Salt Spray – ASTM B117
- Scratch Resistance – ASTM D3363
- Adhesives – ASTM C297
- Mandrel Bend Test – ASTM D522
- Adhesion Tape Test – ASTM D3359
- Pencil Hardness – ASTM D3363
- Impact – ASTM D2794
- Falling Abrasive Resistance – ASTM D968
Polymers and Material Testing
- Tensile Strength ASTM D638, ASTM D1623, ASTM D2990, ASTM D5574
- Compressive Strength ASTM D695, ASTM D2990, ASTM D4762
- Flexural Strength ASTM D790, ASTM D3043, ASTM D5616
- Foam ASTM D3574
- Moisture Absorption ASTM D570
- Particle Board Testing ASTM D1037
- Specific Gravity ASTM D792
- Climbing Peel for Adhesives ASTM D1781
- Vibration – ASTM D999
- Random Vibrations – ASTM D4728
- Drop – ASTM D5276
- Compression – ASTM D642
- Incline Impact – ASTM D880
- Temperature & Humidity Cycling
- Practice on Shipping containers – ASTM D4169
- High Altitude – ASTM D6653
Additional Material Testing Methods Related to ASTM Testing
To learn more about additional material tests related to ASTM testing, we invite you to consult the following resources packaging testing, corrosion testing, polymer testing and coating testing.
If you have any questions about ASTM testing, we invite you to contact our material testing laboratory today. It will be our pleasure to answer your questions and review your custom ASTM testing requirements.