ISTA Testing services available at Micom Laboratories. Micom offers ISTA testing services to a wide range of industries. ISTA, which stands for International Safe Transit Association, offers a group of test specifications based on ASTM test methods to simulate different distribution environments as well as screening tests.
Micom is accredited by ISTA as a test laboratory. Furthermore, our experts sit on the ISTA Testing Technical Council, the group in charge of reviewing the standards.
ISTA Testing uses and factors
Why use ISTA Standards?
ISTA testing allow you to test your package under controlled conditions therefore giving you reproducible data that can be used to either support your design work and/or establish package performance. ISTA testing allows you to break down complex distribution dynamics into individual test parameters while using a limited number of test samples. It also allows for real time observation of packaging failure which provides a better understanding of how the packaging reacts to the applied stress. This way, you get a more accurate assessment of your packaging design which can prevent over packaging.
Which ISTA test method should I be using?
The following factors should be considered when deciding which ISTA test protocol should be used:
- 1 Series tests are to be looked at as “screening” tests and do not represent any distribution environment in particular.
- 2 Series tests are “partial simulations”.
- 3 Series are general simulations and represent different distribution environments that are also modulated, in each distribution environment, per package shape and weight, distance and ambient conditions. When asked, our experts will most of the time recommends series 3 tests.
If you will always be shipping your products from location “A” to destination “B”, ISTA testing to test method 4AB may represent a very interesting option as this test method is the most customizable one, therefore giving you the best distribution simulation possible.
Should you need help in designing the best test plan possible for your need, our experts will be happy to help you; contact us.
ISTA Standards are divided in five main test series
- 1 Series: Non-Simulation integrity Performance Tests (7 protocols)
- 2 Series: Partial Simulation Performance tests (3 protocols)
- 3 Series: General Simulation Performance Tests (6 protocols)
- 4 Series: Enhanced Simulation Performance Test (1 protocols)
- 6 Series: Member Performance Tests (3 protocols)
Below is the list of all ISTA test methods offered by Micom:
- ISTA 1A – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less
- ISTA 1B – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs
- ISTA 1C – Extended Testing for Individual Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less
- ISTA 1D – Extended Testing for Individual Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs
- ISTA 1E – Unitized Loads
- ISTA 1G – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less (Random Vibration)
- ISTA 1H – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs (Random Vibration)
- ISTA 2A – Packaged Products Weighing 150 lbs or Less
- ISTA 2B – Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs
- ISTA 2C – Furniture Packages
- ISTA 3A – Packaged Products for Parcel Delivery System Shipment weighing 150 lbs or less
- ISTA 3B – Packaged Products for Less Than Truckload (LTL) Shipment
- ISTA 3E – Unitized Load of Same Product
- ISTA 3F – Packaged Products for Distribution Center to Retail Outlet Shipment, 100 lb or Less
- ISTA 3H – Products or Packaged Products in Mechanically Handled Bulk Transport Containers
- ISTA 3K – Fast Moving Consumer Goods in the European Retail Supply Chain ISTA 4AB – Packaged Products for Shipment in Known Distribution Channels
- ISTA 6FEDEX-A – FedEx Procedure – Packaged Products Weighing up to 150 lbs
- ISTA 6FEDEX-B – FedEx Procedure – Packaged Products Weighing more than 150 lbs
- ISTA 6-SAMSCLUB – Packaged Products FOR Sam’s Club Distribution System Shipment
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com – Packaged Products for Amazon.com Distribution System Shipment
Other related test methods
If you have any questions about ISTA Testing we invite you to contact our material testing lab today. It will be our pleasure to review your custom testing requirements.