UN Box Testing
UN Approval Testing for Transport of Dangerous Goods
Micom offers on UN box testing per the Canadian Hazardous Materials regulation. Our complete range of services and expertise makes us the partner of choice for all your UN Box testing needs. Micom is recognized by Transport Canada for UN box testing. We are also accredited ISO 17025 by the Standard Council of Canada and are ISTA accredited.
Use and Factors to Be Considered
UN box Testing for packaging less 400 Kg or 450 liters, in Canada, is performed per CAN/CGSB-43.150-97 “Performance Packagings for Transportation of Dangerous Goods” and Transport Canada draft standard TP 14850. For packaging above 400 Kg or 450 liters and 3000 liters, UN box testing (IBC) needs to be done to CAN/CGSB 43.146 and TP 14850.
The performance requirements applicable to your UN box testing needs will change as a function of the following parameters:
- Packaging Type (drum, barrel, bag, box…)
- Material(s) used (steel, plywood, fibre, plastic….)
- Type of products transported (liquid, solid)
- Packing group that your product belongs to.
Based on the chemical composition and intended use of your product, one or more of the following tests will be performed to acquire a UN box testing certification:
- Drop Test (ASTM D5276)
- Compression resistance (ASTM D4577)
- Internal pressure (ASTM D3078)
- Leak proofness
- Water resistance (TAPPI T441)
The process for getting a UN box testing certification in Canada is as follows:
- Identify your packaging/product code
- Have your packaging/product tested at Micom or any other approved lab.
- Submit Micom’s test report for your UN box testing at MOCregister-Registrecontenant@tc.gc.ca with the following information:
- Packaging description
- Compatibility declaration
- ISO certificate is necessary (section 10)
- Manufacturer’s declaration
- Manufacturer’s contact person
- Company information (name, address, …)
Should you need help with your UN box testing projection determining what are the applicable performance requirements and test parameters for your product, our experts will be happy to assist you; contact us.
We also invite you to learn more about our package testing services by consulting our brochure below: